Wednesday, March 15, 2023

My 5 Favorite News Sources

Daily Mail on Snapchat

I was first introduced to Daily Mail from the social media app, snapchat. On snapchat alone, it is one of the biggest news brands on the app. Having a staggering presence of about 15 million subscribers, Daily Mail is the closest news brand to the top news source that is Insider, with over 19 million subscribers. I feel that the reason they gained so many subscribers and so quickly is because they are displayed on the snapchat platform and produce a mix of content that is specifically targeted at a younger audience. I personally enjoy clicking through the Daily Mail on snapchat because it is easily accessible, quick to read and is an outlet that mostly focuses on trending news.


TikTok

While TikTok is one of the most well-known social media apps already, it has now also become one of the biggest sources of news content and information for Gen Z. Many individuals use their platform on social media to speak out about current events, trending news, political affairs, and many more topics. Gen Zers are now even using TikTok as a search engine as one would use Google Search or Microsoft Bing. What I like the most about getting news content from this social media app is that the videos can span from ten seconds all the way to three minutes, making the information quick and to the point as well as convenient. Having a platform on this app makes it easy to connect with a larger audience and be able to share relevant  information to the public. As someone who uses the app almost daily and has accumulated almost half a million followers myself, I’ve been able to use my own platform to spread relevant news to my audience as well as help to raise money for hurricane Ian’s damage to my hometown, Fort Myers, Florida.



All Sides

One news source I really like and appreciate is All Sides. All Sides is a news source that is totally unbiased and introduces you to consider multiple perspectives so you are able to make your own opinions. They’re entire message is based on not being fooled by media bias and misinformation while avoiding manipulation and fake news. The purpose of this is so that their audience can see the full picture of what’s going on from “all sides.” This news source even provides its own Media Bias Chart that separates online U.S. political content into five categories spanning from hard left-wing opinions to hard right-wing opinions. I like that this news source gives many different perspectives because it frees people from falling into a “filter bubble” so that the news you are absorbing is balanced.



Instagram

As an avid user of social media apps, I’ve been using the platform Instagram since before I even had my own phone and had the app downloaded onto my mom’s phone. Over the years, I’ve watched instagram change, grow, and adapt for it’s users and in more recent years, quickly become a source of news content. Instagram is now not simply just used as a photo and video sharing app but a platform where relevant news can be distributed. Personally, I like reading news off of instagram because it seems much more personable and casual. I specifically use this app more so to keep up with recent fashion trends and follow brands and companies I purchase from frequently. I also enjoy using Instagram to keep up with news from my favorite sports teams as well as news from my local county’s Sheriff.


Fox News App

Growing up, Fox News has always been a main source of news which my family consumes. More recently, I’ve added the Fox News app onto my phone and it has been a news source I check quite frequently. The Fox News app has been a very convenient and reliable way for me to keep up with political and worldly matters. The app also makes it easy to search through many news categories, listen to live news, and see the current trending news on the homepage. The app even recommends news stories for you to follow based off of what you read or watch the most. I believe the only downside to Fox news is that it is definitely a strong conservative platform and might not be the best news source if are looking for unbiased news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship and Issues with Modern Technology & Social Media

I guess I could say I’ve never really pondered my relationship with technology before taking this class. I’ve always thought about it on a s...